Cloud in a jar
Overview: Make a cloud in a jar.
- Glass jar
- Piece of black paper but to fit halfway up around the jar
- Hot tap water
- Ice cubes in a plastic bag
- Tape the piece of black paper around the bottom half of the jar.
- Fill the jar to the top with hot water. Leave it for about a minute.
- Pour out all but an inch of the water.
- Have an adult light the match and hold it over the jar opening for a few seconds.
- Drop the match in the water.
- Then quickly put the plastic bag of ice cubes over the top of the jar.
Questions to ask:
- What happened to the air in the jar?
- What did the ice cubes do?
- What else did you notice?
So what happened? The warm water and the match heated the air inside the jar. The warm, wet air rose up to the top of the jar and ran into the cold air just below the ice cubes. When the warm, wet air met the cold wet air, they created a cloud of water droplets. Instant cloud!