1st Time Setup
This YouTube video outlines the steps on this page. This page elaborates these steps for convenience and expedience.
Method 1 (Preferred Method)
xFlasher is an utility that allows you to easily upload and provision code examples and firmware for the XinaBox CW01 and CW02 cores. xFlasher runs on both Windows and Mac operating systems. Using xFlasher eliminates the need for anything more than basic computer literacy to get started with the XinaBox xCHIPs. It allows you to almost effortlessly upload your code so experimentation can begin!
Installing and using xFlasher
- Download and install the XinaBox Flasher from https://github.com/xinabox/XinaBoxFlasher/releases/latest. Choose the .exe for Microsoft Windows and the .dmg for Apple Mac OS. For up-to-date version, download from the Mac App Store:
- Download the binary files from GitHub found here for your weather station. Please select the XGST.bin file.
- Connect your xCHIPs as seen below and insert into an available USB port in your computer.
- Start the xFlasher
- Choose the Serial Port where the IP01 has been installed
- Choose your Application (.bin) file you downloaded
- Choose a Flash Speed, the higher the number, the faster a download, but if the log shows any error, try a slower speed.
- Choose "no" to Erase Core, it will download faster, but if the log shows any error, try say "yes".
- Click FLASH
Method 2 (Classic)
This tool is developed for Microsoft Windows Operating Systems only.
The tool is downloaded from Github.com via this link
Before runnning the newly downloaded file:
- Once the download completes, perform an anti-virus scan on the file.
- Connect IP01 and CW01 as shown on right:
- Make sure that the IP01 has the switches in the following position:
- The DCE/DTE switch has to be in the
- The A/B switch has to be in
- The DCE/DTE switch has to be in the
- Insert connected ☒CHIPS in an available USB port
- Necessary drivers should install automatically, if driver installation fails it can be downloaded and installed manually from this link
Run the xinaboxFlashTool.exe file
- Select the firmware as shown below (Step 1)
- Select COM port as shown below (Step 2) - This normally selected automatically, if the driver did not install this step cannot proceed.
- Click Flash and wait for the bar to complete (Step 3)
- After flashing is complete (Step 4), disconnect the ☒CHIPS from the USB port
- Connect the IP01, SW01, SL01, CW01 and OD01 ☒CHIPS together as shown on right
- Insert the ☒CHIPS into a USB power source
Using a smartphone or tablet:
Connect to ☒CHIP CW01:
- Connect to the CW01 WiFi hotspot within 30 seconds: XINABOX_<number> the password is password (as shown below)
- A captive portal will normally pop up, but if not, use the device's browser and the address http://192.168.4.1 (as shown below)
- Complete and then save the fields marked with an asterisk (*), unmarked fields are optional, but provide additional information
- The "Index" field must be completed with only lowercase letters (no numbers,spaces or symbols) Index refers to the part of the database that the data is sent to, much like a particular folder in a filing cabinet, for example
- Select "Save"
- Select "Configure WiFi" ("Configure Blynk" is optional and requires a Blynk account, see Blynk functionality)
- Select or enter (SSID) the local Wi-Fi for the CW01 ☒CHIP to connect to (as shown below)
- When successfully connected, the OLED display on the OD01 ☒CHIP will show connectivity information for 1 min, before collecting data
- "Configure Blynk" is optional and requires a Blynk account, (see Blynk functionality)
Using the Dashboard
Logging into the Dashboard and using it is explained from this point in the video: Video: Dashboard A basic tutorial on Using the Dashboard is available on this wiki. Feel free to experiment with the tools available.
Be sure to select the correct index or set of indexes that correspond with the index names assigned to your CW01 ☒CHIP in configuration.
For more information view the following Phase 1 - Software